So a little while back I was asked to bring a dessert to a dinner gathering. While trying to eat a gluten-free/paleo-ish kind of diet I would often snag recipes from the Wheat Belly Blog. Here's another one that I would definitely make again!
Cranberry Apple Crumble
What you need:
3 cups ground almonds
1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter
1 cup xylitol (could use sugar) Note that xylitol can be fatal to animals, please be careful!
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
dash sea salt
16 oz. (2 blocks) cream cheese softened
2 large eggs
1/2 cup xylitol (or sugar, or other sweetener equivalent to 1/2c sugar)
1 granny smith apple
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh cranberries (when I made this, cranberries were out of season & I used frozen, they worked just fine!)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2) In a large bowl mix all your crust/topping ingredients (ground almonds, butter, xylitol, cinnamon, molasses, vanilla, sea salt)
3) Grease whatever vessel you intend to bake this in. The recipe calls for a 9" pie pan. The only pie pan I had at the time was packed in a box in the rafters of the garage...not happening. I used a 9x9 glass casserole dish. It worked well.
Press about 1 cup of your crust mixture into the bottom of your baking dish.
4) In another bowl, mix cream cheese, eggs, and sweetener with mixer on low speed until smooth. Pour into baking pan.
5) Core & thinly slice apple. Layer on top of cream cheese mixture.
6) Sprinkle cranberries over the top of apples then sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with remaining crust/crumble mixture.
7) The recipe says to bake for 30 minutes, and honestly I don't remember how long I baked mine. I find the Wheat Belly recipe baking times to be too long (both the spice cookies and the granola that I've tried) so I'd say, bake for 20 minutes, and if the top isn't lightly browned, give it more time.
Eat up! Yummers!